Sunday, April 20, 2008

People grow old

Am with my cuppa chai and the Sunday newspapers. Occasionally indulging in small talk with my Grandma, who's seated opposite, listening intently to Jim Morrison and the 'Roadhouse Blues' blasting away on my laptop. Her feet are tapping rhythmically on the floor, in response to the beats of the song, but other than that, there is very little to indicate she's aware of her surroundings, of me. Her eyes carry that far-away expression which I usually associate with her trips down memory lane, where childhood memories come to claim her with increasing frequency these days. Only, this time around, I know that the far-away look is not simply due to nostalgia. For some time now, everyone in my family has been noting with concern my grandma's failing vision. Most times, her eyes refuse to focus. They'd wander all around the room, unable to focus on one thing or person. She'd be talking to me, but looking elsewhere.


Grandma is old, very old. And old age has taken its toll. She can't walk too well now: a result of weak bones, and a fall that resulted in knee surgery. And now there's the eye problem. She looks frail. And lost.


Mom and Dad are also growing old. Mom's skin sags now, and there are fine lines around her eyes. She gets tired easily. Dad is struggling with retirement after a life of hectic activity. He confesses his memory isn't as sharp as it used to be. He declines tasks that require too much effort out of him. Mom and Dad had always been hyper-active; old age is slowing them down.


There has also been a role-reversal of sorts. Mom and Dad have both retired. Mom looks after the domestic chores, Dad looks after the small errands, and the laundry. My brother and I are the earning members now. And suddenly, I feel like the adult in the house. Mom, Dad and Grandma have become the kids who require constant supervision, and I, the harried adult who's juggling work and family. Its a strange feeling. And it scares me. But people grow old, I suppose.

But this is depressing. So I start playing Grandma's and my favourite 'together' song (the song that we most like listening to when we are together): 'No More I love You's' by Annie Lennox. Somehow, it comforts us both. Strange. But hey, its comforting.

No comments: