I like this particular vh1 ad..I won't describe the ad (that'll be too painful), but the tag-line was 'if you were a song'..it got me thinking. The wonderful thing about songs is that there's one for every situation that you could possibly be in. And going by my state of 'being' in the recent past, I'd have to say that if I were a song, I would pretty much be 'comfortably numb'. I was never a hard-core Floyd fan (infact even now, my knowledge of their music is pretty restricted), but there's a lot I can identify with their music in my present state of doped-yet-not-doped existence.
Another artist whose work I immensely admire is John Mayer. I love most of his stuff, and it was with great distress that I read about his romance with certified bimbette Jessica Simpson. Now I feel guilty about liking the music of someone who goes around with a person whose own songs, are at best, trash. But his personal life is his own concern, I guess..and as long as his music doesn't disintegrate, he can go around with Paris Hilton, for all I care (muffled sob).
There's also the predicatble on my list : u2, Sting, Bryan Adams, Def Leppard, Duran Duran, Goo Goo Dolls, etcetera..but there's also a whole lotta music out there that I personally enjoy, but which my generation, for the most part, is oblivious to. What follows is a list of such songs, amazing music that one MUST listen to..and I guess its a good idea to jot it all down before they completely fade from public memory.
So here goes :
Simon and Garfunkel : Sounds of Silence and Bridge over troubled waters
Air Supply : All out of love
The Drifters : Save your last dance for me, Upon the roof, This magic moment...
Starship : Nothing's gonna stop us now
Pet Shop Boys : Numb (their more recent number)
Celine Dion and the Bee Gees : Immortality
Meatloaf : It's all coming back to me now
Bryan Adams : Heaven (concert version - I personally think this is his best song, but sadly, he's famous for his more popular 'Summer of '69' and 'Everything I do')
Diana King : Say a little prayer for you
Mariah Carey : Hero
Richard Marx : Hazard
Shania Twain : You're still the one
Sting : Fragile (brilliant music)
Jamiroquai : Dont give hate a chance (brilliant video)
Fat Boy Slim : Champion sounds and That ol' pair of jeans (again for the video)
Garbage : The world is not enough (Theme song of the James Bond movie of the same name)
Natalie Imbruglia : Torn
Madonna : Nothing really matters (again, a brilliant song that never got the publicity it deserves)
INXS : Afterglow (I loooove the way the song begins..amazing music)
Tracy Chapman : Fast Car (also, Baby, Can I hold you tonight?)
Fort Minor : Where'd you go?
Pink Floyd : See Emily Play
Aerosmith : I don't wanna miss a thing (My favouritest love song)
I'm sure there's a lot more I can add to this list, but I am to lazy to recall them all now. I guess I'll just keeping adding to this list as and when new songs strike me..
Monday, February 26, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment